Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Lesedi Village


One of the places we wanted to be sure to go to here in Johannesburg is Lesedi village. It is set up as a cultural experience on the order of the BYU Cultural Center in Hawaii, but not nearly as slick or elaborate. Still it was a very nice experience where guides take you through forest area in which small villages are set up to represent each of the main five tribes including Zulu, Xhosa, Pedi, Basotho and Ndebele. They claim that families actually live permanently in each of the homesteads, but they didn’t look quite lived in enough to convince me of that. Guests could actually rent the little houses and stay in them though which would be fun. They also have a much fancier part of the village but we went only the cultural center part.

We actually went on this adventure a while ago, but I waited to post it until now. The PegBuddy families of all of my children have now accompanied us to some African location except for Tim’s family so I wanted to make this post in order, but I wanted his family to go to Lesedi because Sydney worked at the Polynesian Cultural Center when she went to BYU. Syd, even though they didn’t have quite the same kind of dancing that you did there, I’m sure they would have found you a spot somewhere in their production. The performers all seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. I wish their energy could be attached to the pictures.





Oliver helped with the drumming
Baby Peter
Our new flat
Sydney wanted to move into this little house.
All of the Tim Davie Family with some of the resident vendors, happy because I bought some things to send home.
This guy loved the PegBuddies; you can tell that he was delighted to have his photo taken with Tim.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, loved the post! Sorry it took me a couple days to read it. How could I have been late to my own party? Thanks for the fun pics. I just showed them to Ollie, he loved seeing himself and baby Peter in Africa! Love and miss you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you chose our family to go on this adventure with you!! It looks like a lot of fun! I love watching cultural dances. They are so cool and I LOVE the costumes/traditional dress in these pictures. Thanks for taking us along with you! Oliver talks about Africa weekly :) We miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete